Insurance for motorbike drivers

If you have a motorbike, you need to get it insured. Like with car insurance, you can get third party only insurance, third party, fire and theft or comprehensive insurance. Not all insurers will insure motorcyclists as they are considered to be high risk as a higher proportion are involved in accidents compared with cars. Insurance for motorbikes is likely to increase in price the younger you are, or if you have a poor driving record. Some companies do offer insurance to motorcyclists however, and some specialise specifically in motorbike insurance. Get quotes from different insurance companies to find the right policy for you.

  • If you are a young driver, it is important to find an insurer that offers good rates for younger drivers. It may be worth putting the insurance in your parents name if they are qualified to drive a motorcycle.
  • The price of your insurance may also depend on your profession. Insurance companies are likely to charge you more if they consider you to be in a high-risk profession.
  • Make sure you take a policy that has the correct level of cover for you. If you find a cheap motorcycle insurance policy, it may be because you are not covered in certain eventualities, or you may have to pay a large excess if you have an accident.